Monday 24 November 2014

What is art?

 This is one of the most difficult questions you will have to answer in your life. What is art? Is it a feeling? Is it something abstract? It is something which follows a rule? I'm going to talk about my personal opinion about art.


The first time I visited a museum, I was feeling curious. I was watching plenty of pictures and I didn't know the meaning of them not even the artist or the name of the picture. Therefore, I decided that I needed to study art. The world that I have discovered could never be bought with money. Since that moment, I created my own definition of art. For me art is whatever makes you feel something special in your heart it doesn't matter if it is a good feeling or a bad one. Not all artistics works have to be beautiful works. I was amazed thinking about  how a building -that was built two thousand years old- could be in better conditions than a modern one. I discovered that art can also make you angry. For instance the first time I saw this:
My bed- Tracey Emin 
I though: Oh my God! If this is art, then my room is a masterpiece. I have to admit that the first time I saw it I was angry, I couldn't understand why it was called art. Fortunately, I realized that the artist had reached her aim. Her aim was to make me feel something. Hence, she is a great artist he completely angered me and gave me some food for though! Moreover, I can't deny that the first time I saw this picture from Munch, I ended up crying:



It made me think of a poor boy, alone in life. The two men behind him were criticizing him. He was completely alone. He was a negative person, full of bad feelings and thoughts. Hence, he wanted to scream in order to be able to feel free of all the preasure he had. It is an amazing picture, isn't it? Moreover, I couldn't forgive myself If I speak about art and I don't mencion all the amazing feelings that an art performance can make you feel. I specifically like this one from Marina Abramocic. Imagine what would happen if you see your love after 23 years, in the middle of your performance, in which you can't speak and you just can see him. Words are left, it's better to see it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlf68X2qEpM

Thus, I have decided that if someone asks me what is art ,I would say. Art is everything. Everything that makes you feel something, it doesn't matter if it is a good feeling or a bad one. Literature, music, painting, cooking, girls making up themselves. Everything is art. The world is full of art. And if you feel something, that's because  the artist  have achieved his/her aim.

1 comment: